Hopatcong Election Guide
The candidates, incumbents and issues that will be affecting Hopatcong and Sussex County.
As we look ahead to November’s elections, Hopatcong Patch is devoted to bring you the information you need about every race in town. Here's our start on the candidates and issues we'll be covering as November draws near. Bookmark this page for updates.
- Hopatcong Council: Incumbent Republicans Richard Bunce and Marie Galate will take on write-in Democrats Mara Modes and John Pezzino. Bunce and Galate edged a pair of newcomers in the primaries while Modes was part of a trio's failed last-minute independant write-in campaign in 2011 in lost as an independant in 2010. Pezzino is new to the borough political scene.
- Sussex County Freeholder: Republicans Gail Phoebus and Dennis Mudrick will square off against James Tighe and Susan Williams on the Democratic side.
- 11th Congressional District: Longtime Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen, who faced no opposition in the GOP primary, will take on Democratic Challenger John Arvanites, who also had no opponents in the primary.
- U.S. Senate: U.S. Senator Bob Menendez (D), the junior United States Senator from New Jersey who was first appointed in 2006 to fill Jon Corzine's seat, takes on Republican challenger Joe Kyrillos, who easily defeated three opponents in the primary.
- U.S. President: Democratic President Barack Obama faces former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) in a campaign that has focused heavily on the economy and job growth. Also on the ballot is Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson.