Hopatcong Murder Trial Date Pushed Back
A new date hasn't been set yet for the trial of Giuseppe Tedesco, charged with the 2010 murder of Alyssa Ruggieri. Tedesco will appear in court Wednesday.
The trial for the Hopatcong man charged with the murder of a borough woman has been pushed back from its initial June 5 start date, Sussex County Assistant Prosecutor Seana Pappas said Tuesday.
A new date hasn't yet been set, Pappas said.
Giuseppe Tedesco will be in court for a status conference at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in Newton before Judge Peter Conforti. Pappas said the meeting will be an attempt for the sides to "figure out where we are and try to keep track of everything," she said.
Tedesco was charged with murder, illegal possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose after Ruggieri was found shot to death in her Hopatcong home on March 27, 2010. He faces up to life in prison if convicted of murder.
Tedesco, who has pleaded not guilty, will most likely plead self-defense, said his attorney, Anthony Iacullo. Tedesco has previously rejected the state's plea offer, which would have put him in jail for 30 years.
In January, Pappas said Tedesco shot Ruggieri six times after she refused to celebrate his birthday with him. She also said Tedesco shot himself in the hand in the process.