UPDATE: Murderer's Court Appearance Goes to Review
Guiseppe Tedesco's request to not appear during victim's impact statements being reviewed by Appellate Court.
A New Jersey Appellate Court will review a Sussex County judge's ruling to have convicted murderer Guiseppe Tedesco appear in court for his sentencing March 20, njherald.com reports.
Tedesco was convicted on January 10 of killing Alyssa Ruggieri in Hopatcong after shooting her five times in March 2010 at her Durban Avenue home.
The defense, prosecution and victim's family is being asked to submit briefs to the court by noon Friday so a decision can be made on whether Tedesco is required to be present when the Ruggieri family gives their impact statements, the report said.
The appeal comes just a day after Judge Peter Conforti ruled Tedesco would be required to be present at his sentencing March 20.
Earlier this week, court documents revealed Tedesco was requesting his presence be absent at his sentencing, to which the Ruggieri family responded with a plea for the judge to require the killer to be in court.
Conforti, citing New Jersey law, said in court Tedesco will indeed be in court Wednesday, according to nj.com.
“The defendant does not have the right not to be there … he must be here,” Conforti said, according to nj.com.
Tedesco faces a maximum penalty of life-plus-20 years. The Ruggieri family will have the opportunity to address the court–not Tedesco specifically–when they give impact statements.
Tedesco claimed self-defense in the six-week long trial, which culminated in guilty verdicts for first-degree murder, possession of a gun and possession of a gun for unlawful purpose.