Hopatcong will watch 183 students graduate high school on Wednesday. But the borough has seen its share of teenagers soar as high as the caps they tossed in the air over the years.
Here are 5 Grads You Need to Know.
- You Need to Know About Joe Martinek: And unless you've been living under a rock covered with bigger, sharper rocks, you already do. Martinek, the state's all-time leading rusher, is a Rutgers University fullback entering his final year of eligibility. The 2007 graduate ran for 967 yards in 2009 for the Scarlet Knights before an ankle injury held him to just 276 yards last year. Martinek helped the Chiefs win a state title in 2005. Click here for more.
- You Need to Know About Dave Yovanovits: Yovanovits went where Martinek hopes to go. The 6-foot, 300-pound offensive lineman went to Temple University after his 1999 graduation. The New York Jets selected him in the seventh round of the 2003 NFL Draft and he spent four years in the league, also playing for the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions and New Orleans Saints. Click here for more.
- You Need to Know About Zach Rey: Yet another superb athlete from the 2007 class. Rey won the NCAA Division I heavyweight wrestling crown for Lehigh University in March. A two-time state champion for Hopatcong, Rey also played offensive line, alongside Martinek, for the Chiefs' championship squad.
- You Need to Know About Eugene Chan: You'd think dropping out of Harvard Medical School wouldn't be the best idea. Then again, you're not Chan, whose idea to build a machine that would map out an entire human genome in 30 minutes helped him found a multi-million-dollar company called U.S. Genomics, which changed its name to PathoGenetix last year. Click here for more.
- You Need to Know About Joe Hewitt: Chances are you've seen his work without knowing it. Best known for helping create Firefox, Hewitt also played a key role in developing Facebook's iPhone app. Click here for more.