- Make sure your home is properly insulated to preserve heat. Inspect doors and windows and apply caulk or weather-stripping where necessary to keep cold air out. Close drapes, blinds and garage doors to retain heat and keep cold air out.
- Keep extra blankets or sleeping bags for each person inside your home. Dress in layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing.
- Use a sturdy fireplace screen when using a fireplace or wood burning stove.
- Never use a gas stove, charcoal grill or lantern intended for outdoor use inside your home as it could lead to a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas.
- Exercise caution with space heaters. Only use heaters designed for indoor use, and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from curtains, carpet or furniture that could catch on fire.
- Maintain a three-day supply of water and non-perishable food. Convenience foods that do not require cooking are good to have on hand.
- Avoid frozen pipes by opening faucets and maintaining a constant drip, or wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspapers.
- Use care when burning candles, especially around children or pets; open flames are a dangerous fire hazard.
- Charge electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers.
- Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy in the event a power interruption occurs.
- Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage in the event of a power outage. Ensure the proper generator is selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, the power coming into the home should always be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers.
If your power should go out, call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or click "Report Outage" at www.firstenergycorp.com via smartphone. Customers
should immediately report downed wires to their utility or their local police or fire