Stove Catches Fire When Power Turned On

No injuries and minor damage in Bucknell Road home blaze, fire chief says.

A kitchen fire was ignited when power was restored to an unoccupied Bucknell Road home Sunday night, Fire Chief Wade Crowley said.

Crowley said the stove caught fire and ignited the kitchen once power came back on. He said the homeowners—who weren't at the residence at the time of the fire—had left the stove and main breaker on when they lost power during Hurricane Sandy two weeks ago. Once the electricity turned on, the appliances ignited the blaze, Crowley said.

The fire department got the call at about 8:10 p.m. from a neighbor, according to Crowley, and the first responders were able to extinguish the fire within minutes. 

The blaze caused minor damage to the kitchen, and there were no injuries from the incident, Crowley said.

Crowley said the department received two other fire calls Sunday night, but nothing significant.

One involved wires and trees on Jefferson Trail, but the fire department was able to quickly extinguish the blaze, Crowley said.

The other was a complaint about an odor of gas, but Crowley said it was because everyone started using the sewer at once with the grinder pumps once the power came back on. 

Wendy Sutton November 12, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Way to go, Hopatcong Fire Department!!!
Jessica November 12, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Nice work!
Mikey November 12, 2012 at 09:22 PM
So we are supposed to turn off the main breaker when the power goes out? I've never heard that. Sounds like a good idea if you are going away.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »