- If your daytime activities make it impossible for you to deal with local court matters, Hopatcong Borough and Sparta Township have you in mind for their periodic and respective Municipal Night Courts. The offering is available Monday starting at 6 p.m. at Borough Hall, 111 River Styx Road in Hopatcong and at Town Hall at 65 Main St. in Sparta.
- Ever read "Doonesbury" or "X-Men" and think, "I could do that"? Perhaps you can. Sparta's new visual arts school, Renaissance Arts Center, teaches painting, drawing, sculpture, collage and photography to young people—and is looking for students. The studio presents a free lesson in cartooning and creating comic strip art Monday at 4:30 p.m. to folks who come in to check out instructional offerings. Get more info from the center, 83 Woodport Road at 973-726-3331 or Sparta@renaissanceartscenter.org.
- The Sparta Board of Education gathers Monday for its monthly work session. Among the agenda items for discussion are proposed new policies for evaluating educational staff, including teachers and administrators. Also, the results of the 2012-13 district audit and a corrective action plan will be presented. The gathering runs from 7-10:30 p.m. at Mohawk Avenue School, 18 Mohawk Ave.
- The Sparta Town Council meets for a regular meeting at Town Hall. No agenda had been released as of press time. The session starts Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
- The Hopatcong High School Parent-Teacher-Student Organization meets Tuesday evening. Gather at the school library at 7 p.m. HHS is at 2A Windsor Ave. Surely one of the items to be discussed is a Financial Aid Seminar, which will be held for college-bound students and their parents. That gathering takes place Wednesday in the HHS cafeteria at 7 p.m.
- By the way, parents of the college seniors: Instant Decision Day for County College of Morris is Wednesday.
- Pavinci's Italian Grill in Hopatcong is the site for a special night to benefit those who serve in the military. An Armed Forces Relief Winter Gala Benefit Dinner starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Tickets are $30 per person and covers a buffet dinner, wine/spirits tasting and entertainment. The restaurant is at 453 River Styx Road. For more information visit www.armedforcesrelief.com or www.pavinci.com.
- Hopatcong's Recreation Committee holds its monthly meeting to plan area athletic and community activities. The gathering starts Tuesday at 8 p.m. at Borough Hall.
- If your Hopatcong public school student hasn't noticed yet, things are getting real in the classroom. Three months in, and Thursday and Friday mark Progress Report Days for the second marking period. Mom and Dad, you've been informed (o,r you will be). Kids, study!
- Friday at 4 p.m. is the signup deadline for Hopatcong's 2013 Holiday House Decorating Contest. Judges will select the top three decorated homes at a special event at Pavinci's Italian Grill on Dec. 17. In order to take part, you must register by Friday. Pick up registration forms at the Municipal Building, 111 River Styx Road, or download it, print it out, fill it out and take it to Borough Hall. If you have questions, call 973-770-2701.
- Is there much that's better than young people singing? “A Night of Hope,” the annual winter holiday concert, will be presented in the Hopatcong High School auditorium Friday at 7 p.m. The suggested donation at the door is $5 per person. For more information, call Mike at 973-770-4997.
- Holiday happenings come Saturday: Wreaths Across America will kick off with a ceremony at Hopatcong Veterans Field on Flora Avenue at 12 noon.
- Have something to add to this week's planner? Add it in comments. If you have an item for next week, send it to email@example.com.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something