- Justice will be served tonight in Sparta. The township's periodic Municipal Night Court Session starts at 6 p.m.
- It's time for Hopatcong Youth Travel League Girls Basketball Tryouts. The league offers competition with teams of 5th-8th grade girls in Sussex County. The season starts in late October and runs through early March. Tryouts are free. For questions, contact Joe Cuoco at 973-332-6532 or email@example.com.
- Get into the swing of things at Ronnie's Dance Studio. Monday launches October Swing Dance Lessons at the studio.
- Election season is officially underway, and the most recent proof comes Monday night as the Hopatcong Democratic Club sponsors its Board of Education Candidates Night. This is residents' opportunity to hear from all of the men and women seeking to ensure that borough schools are well-run, and the public is invited to attend this non-political event. The forum takes place Monday at 7:30 p.m. on the upper level of the Hopatcong Senior Center at 32 Lakeside Blvd.
- It's Sparta Township Schools Respect Week. The week will feature a host of activities to teach children the importance of tolerance, kindness and compassion. The lessons to be imparted are those that dovetail with the district's continued efforts to fight harassment, intimidation and bullying. And the crucial lessons will continue into next week when Rachel's Challenge, a national effort inspired by the first student to die in the Columbine school shootings, is introduced at Sparta Middle School on Oct. 15.
- Life is good this week at Hopatcong's Hudson Maxim School, where Respect Week also is being observed. The week will feature numerous opportunities for students to learn about and practice kindness and gratitude, including a Cafeteria Workers' Appreciation Day, a visit to local firefighters and a Scholastic Book Fair that runs during the school day from Monday through Thursday.
- Parents and teachers will discuss matters of importance to students and schools when the Hopatcong Middle School PTO meets Monday night. The event takes place at 7 p.m. at the school, 1 David Road.
- Recreation is to be a focus of discussion in both our towns Tuesday: The Sparta Recreation Committee gathers at 7:30 p.m. at the Sparta Recreation Department, 22 Woodport Road. The Hopatcong Recreation Committee holds its regular meeting at Borough Hall, 111 River Styx Road, at 8 p.m.
- The Sparta Township Council meets to discuss matters municipal; no agenda has yet been released. But residents are certainly welcome to attend and to participate. The session starts at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Sparta town Hall, 65 Main St.
- There is lots happening at Hopatcong High School this week. On Tuesday, there is a makeup HSPA math test for seniors, it's HHS Photo Day for underclassmen (which continues Wednesday and Thursday) and the high school PTO meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the school library. HHS is located at 2A Windsor Ave. The two-day HSPA makeup language arts test will be given to seniors Wednesday and Thursday.
- Do your part for the community and for the planet: Hopatcong's Recycling Center will be open Wednesday from 9 a.m.-noon.
- The Sparta Library Board Meets this Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. The gathering takes place at the library, 22 Woodport Road.
- Sparta's Zoning Board meets to discuss building matters. The municipal board session is set to start at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 65 Main St.
- Hopatcong Middle School Photo Day is scheduled for Thursday this week. Be sure to have your young men and women looking sharp for posterity's sake.
- Sparta's Environmental Commission gathers this week. The meeting is set to start at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 65 Main St.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something