Monday, April 8, 2013
Agencies from throughout Morris County assisting to quell blazes in Mt. Olive.
As of 3:40 p.m. Monday afternoon, numerous brush fires throughout the industrial complex of the International Trade Center in Mt. Olive had been knocked down, according to Mt. Olive Mayor Rob Greenbaum's Facebook page. "The brush fire in the trade zone is now completely under control," Greenbaum said on his Facebook page. "Those who may have gotten calls from Bright Horizons Day Care need not hurry to get your kids," the status update said. "All are safe and not in harms way. No need to panic at all. if you need help getting thru to get your children just ask a police officer who will make sure you can get thru to get your children." Brush fires popped up all over the area, and could be seen from as far as Exit 30 off Route 80. "Pretty …
Sunday, March 3, 2013
Resident remains in critical condition.
- POLICE & FIRE
Sunday, March 3
A fire deemed 'suspicious' by Sparta police has been ruled an arson, according to a report on NJ.com. A Fox Trail Road home was gutted Thursday night by the quick-moving fire, and resident Lindsay Kiensicki, 26, suffered burns to her head, face and arms, Sgt. John-Paul Beebe had said. Homeowners Robert and Lois Kiensicki were not home at the time of the blaze, Beebe said. Investigators initially deemed the fire suspicious, and the Sussex County Prosecutor's Office is investigating it as a case of arson, NJ.com reported. "There's no cause for public alarm," First Assistant Prosecutor Greg Mueller said. Kiensicki remains in critical condition at St. Barnabas Medical Center.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Fire official said fire appears to be accidental.
A shed fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon appears to be accidental and non-suspicious, Sparta Police said. Sparta police Sgt. John-Paul Beebe said the fire was at a Sagamore Trail residence and officials arrived just before noon. The small garden shed caught fire on its own without any damage to other parts of the property or house, Beebe said. Beebe said the homeowner called about the fire, but no injuries were reported. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames right away, he said.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
The chimney was used consistently because of a lack of heat in the house, police say.
Constant chimney use because of the power outages led to a small fire in a home on Signal Hill Trail in Sparta early Sunday morning. According to Sparta Police Sgt. John Paul Beebe, the fire was in the chimney when it occurred around 1:30 a.m. The fire, he said, started as a chimney fire, and then got between the chimney and the firebox. "It did damage to an upstairs bedroom," he said. "And there is heavy smoke and water damage throughout the house." There were no injuries reported in the incident. Beebe said the fire was extinguished, but the house is not inhabitable because of the smoke damage. "The family cleaned out some belongings, and are waiting for an insurance adjustor," he said. The chimney, Beebe said, had been used for many …
Sunday, September 30, 2012
Dermody family said Sparta station would be key to redeveloping the area.
The owners of the historic Sparta train station that was destroyed in an accidential Labor Day fire, have committed to replacing the structure with a historically accurate replica. “It was a treasure,“ William Dermody IV said Thursday. The site is owned by Station Holdings, a non-profit company created by the Dermody family that owns several businesses in Sparta. Dermody said the family created a website to tell the story of the station. It is located at www.spartatrainstation.com. The station was built by the New York, Susquehanna Railroad & Western in 1881. A companion water tower was not damaged in the fire and still stands. Dermody said an architect with experience in historic restorations would be brought in to design a replacement. …
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Residents used two fire extinguishers to put it out, police said.
- POLICE & FIRE
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
A Brooklyn Mountain Road home suffered smoke and fire damage due to a cooking oil fire in the kitchen, according to Hopatcong police. The home owner said she had put food in oil on the stove and that when she went to do laundry she heard what sounded like an explosion, according to police. Police said she found fire coming from the stove when she went back into the kitchen, and that the family used two fire extinguishers to put the fire out. Police said there was heavy smoke in the kitchen when they arrived after being called to the residence, and that the fire had already been extinguished. All occupants of the home were found outside after they had extinguished the fire. Police said the Hopatcong Fire Department responded to make sure …
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Shawn Pond, Jesse Ioffredo and Henry Sardina each received care for heat exhaustion after battling boathouse blaze.
The three Hopatcong firefighters who were taken to the hospital following Tuesday night's fire that torched a boathouse were later released, Hopatcong police Lt. Thomas Kmetz said. Shawn Pond, Jesse Ioffredo and Henry Sardina each were treated for heat exhaustion after helping extinguish the 19 Elba Ave. blaze, which burned so bright it could be seen across the lake, according to residents. The cause of the fire is still under investigation by Hopatcong police Detective Mike Luciani, detectives Paul Mueller and Doug Porter of the Sussex County Prosecutor's Office and Hopatcong Fire Marshal Richard Cook, police said. Nobody was killed in the fire. Homeowner Ivan Dressner was in New York at the time of the inferno, which was reported to …
Two firemen were taken to the hospital after Tuesday night's blaze.
A blaze tore through the boathouse at 19 Elba Ave. late Tuesday night. While the homeowner wasn't home, Lake Hopatcong boaters called in the flames, which reached about 30 feet, igniting trees. Two Hopatcong firemen were sent to the hospital with heat exhaustion. Click here for the full report on the inferno.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
No one injured in blaze, Hopatcong police say.
A forest fire burned just less than an acre of woods near the Hopatcong High School football field early Wednesday morning. No one was hurt, police said. A borough resident noticed flames and smoke billowing from the trees behind the fence of the upper parking lot near the field and called police around 12:30 a.m., Fire Chief Wade Crowley said. The flames were under control about a half-hour later, said Crowley, who added that Hopatcong could see more forest fires this summer. "Especially if it stays this dry," he said. Hopatcong's fire department, police department and ambulance squad responded to the scene, as well as the state Forest Fire Service. Smoke could be seen hanging in the air at the scene as late as 1:40 a.m. The smell of …
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
"Don’t wind up in the hospital because of fireworks," Richard Cook says.
- POLICE & FIRE
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
The following is from Hopatcong Fire Marshal Richard Cook. As the Independence Day holiday approaches I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to leave fireworks to the professionals. In New Jersey, absolutely no common (class C) or greater fireworks, including sparklers, are legal to buy, sell, or possess by individuals without a proper license. Smoke grenades, toy propellants, snaps & pops, firecrackers, roman candles, bottle rockets etc. are all illegal in this state. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more fires are reported on the 4th of July than on any other day and ½ of those are caused by fireworks. Last year in New Jersey 12 people were hospitalized with fireworks related injuries. …