Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Fire official said fire appears to be accidental.
A shed fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon appears to be accidental and non-suspicious, Sparta Police said. Sparta police Sgt. John-Paul Beebe said the fire was at a Sagamore Trail residence and officials arrived just before noon. The small garden shed caught fire on its own without any damage to other parts of the property or house, Beebe said. Beebe said the homeowner called about the fire, but no injuries were reported. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames right away, he said.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
No one was injured in blaze on Thursday afternoon in Sparta.
No one was injured when a minivan burst into flames on Route 15 South Thursday afternoon, Sparta Police said. A Vernon woman was traveling with her two children, ages 8 and 13, on the highway by the Blue Heron Interchange when she noticed smoke coming from her Mercury Villager, according to Sgt. John-Paul Beebe. The woman pulled over by the 11-mile marker and was able to escape safely with her two children before the car caught on fire, Beebe said. When the Sparta Fire Department arrived around 1:30 p.m., the minivan was completely engulfed, and was able to extinguish the blaze within minutes, Beebe said. The exact cause of the fire, which destroyed the vehicle, is unkown, but Beebe said it was some type of mechanical defect. Sparta Police…
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Blaze on St. Mary's Place causes water and smoke damage throughout home, police say.
Four pets were rescued and no one was injured in a residential fire on St. Mary's Place Thursday afternoon, Sparta Police said. According to police, members of the Sparta and Ogdensburg fire departments were able to extinguish the structure fire that was ignited by embers in a cardboard box in the garage at about 4:20 p.m. The home's garage suffered extensive fire damage, and the remainder of the home sustained heavy smoke and water damage, police said. Police said Cpl. Robert Fraser first discovered the fire when he was checking on homes still without power. He noticed thick black smoke exiting from the home, and then called the police and fire departments for assistance, police said. Fraser first checked on the home and banged on the …