Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Officials say lack of functioning smoke detectors caused occupants to be trapped.
Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric M. Knapp said that altered wiring in the foyer caused a space heater fire at 56 Main Street in Flanders with fatal results. Hesham Moustafa, 52, and his 7-year-old stepson Cristiano Bonner perished in the blaze. Cristiano's sister, 9-year-old Bianca Bonner, and their mother, Carmella Moustafa, also were injured, Knapp said. Carmella Moustafa was released from the hospital while Bianca Bonner remains in stable condition after being revived at the scene. Rewan Moustafa, 19, Hesham Moustafa's daughter, was present during the fire but was not injured, Knapp said. The Mount Olive Police Department, Mount Olive Fire Marshal, Morris County Sheriff’s Office and the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Major …
Monday, February 18, 2013
Family of Cristiano Bonner and Hesham Moustafa trying to raise money for medical, burial and counseling expenses.
The fire that destroyed a Flanders home Monday and claimed the lives of 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old stepson Cristiano Bonner is only the beginning of the trial for the family as they are struggling to find funds for burial expenses for the victims and recovery for the survivors, said Amy Bonner Langdo. Langdo is a Hopatcong resident and Cristiano's aunt and has started a Give Forward donation page in hopes of raising enough money to cover the medical, burial and counseling expenses. "My niece Bianca is in the hospital with burns and damage to her lungs," Langdo said. According to Langdo, her niece was brought out of the burning home and wasn't breathing, but that first responders were able to revive her at the scene. …
Main Street resident and 7-year-old child die in Monday-morning blaze.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, February 18
Two Flanders residents died after an early-morning fire on Main Street Monday. Acting Morris Prosecutor Fredric M. Knapp and Mount Olive Police Chief Mark Spitzer confirmed in a release that Hesham Moustafa, 52, and a 7-year-old child died in the blaze. Two other 56 Main St. residents are hospitalized for treatment. Flanders Fire Chief Frank Zeller said the boy's body was found in a bathtub in the residence, with Moustafa's body located slumped over the same tub, according to nj.com. Three residents were rescued from the blaze, according to Mt. Olive Police Chief Mark Spitzer in a report by dailyrecord.com. One of them, a young girl, was taken from the residence not breathing, but was revived at the scene by emergency medical responders, …
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
80-foot Norway spruce cut from Mount Olive man's property.
One foot for every year. The Christmas tree for the 80th annual Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting ceremony is an 80-foot tall Norway spruce that came down on Flanders-Drakestown Road in Mt. Olive on Tuesday morning. This tree's felling was the first in weeks to be celebrated, rather than lamented, as the 10-ton tree wasn't part of the damage sustained during the recent visit by Hurricane Sandy. Joseph Balku, the Mount Olive resident who owns the property the tree resided on, said that the Nov. 12 festivities were the culmination of a whirlwind two months. "They called me two months ago," Balku said. "And three weeks ago they told me my tree was selected and I was happy to donate it." The street Balku lives on still shows scars of …
Monday, November 12, 2012
10-ton Norway Spruce to be cut down Tuesday morning in Mount Olive.
Monday, November 12, 2012
From Morris County to Rockefeller Center. A 10-ton Norway Spruce will be cut down Tuesday morning in the Flanders section of Mount Olive and transported on a 115-foot-long trailer and transported to New York. The tree, which is 80 feet tall and 50 feet in diameter, will be brought down on the property of Joseph Balku and will be erected in Rockefeller Center on Wednesday. The 80th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony will be held in two weeks on Wednesday, Nov. 28. This is the first time since 2009 a New Jersey tree will be used at Rockefeller Center, according to NJ.com.